Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One New Tool

Working with Excel in many different exercises this semester, I have learned that Excel has many purposes and can be very valuable to a teacher who chooses to utilize it. Not only can Excel be used to keep track of student grades/attendance, create schedules, but it can also be used as a form of assessment for students on the information they need to know. Excel is a great resource in these ways, but it is also a program which students can use to conduct experiments and create project spreadsheets for themselves. The multiple functions, like creating a chart and feedback cells, give the user a wide array of opportunities for presentation and understanding of the data. I give this program 5 out of 5 stars because it is so versatile in its applications for both teachers and students.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment of Excel's usefulness. The feedback capability and organizational layout of this program makes it a natural for science, math, and administrative functions. I like the idea of allowing students to create functions. They get hands on experiances with Algebra without the frustration of the algorithms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with this. I didn't realize how much excel can help when doing anything in the classroom, really, until we had to do a lot on it. At first I didn't like that we had to do a lot with excel but now that I am used to it then I can see myself using it without being told to do it or being graded on it. I liked the functions that I could write so students would know whether they are doing it right or not.

    ReplyDelete